How to stop Intellectual Property infringement
Whether you find out that someone is copying your copyrighted work, registered design or trademark you shall definitely take steps to stop this wrongdoing. Your rights are not to be „self protected“ and you, as their carrier or owner, must in most cases, take measures to stop such behaviour. Such doing can be considered as unfair competition in most countries.
If you are in such position, you have several options you can use in order to make this situation right. For example:
- notice the potential wrongdoer about your existing IP rights
- notice the potential wrongdoer to stop unlawful actions against your IP
- request removal of the all consequences caused by infringment of your IP rights (removing goods from market, removing trademarks from goods, destroying fake goods etc.)
- offer potential infringer license agreement so he can continue using your IP with your consent by paying license royalties
- request remuneration, damages and adequate satisfaction in money
Before doing any of abovementioned, you should gather all the available evidence material that can provde that your IP law is being copied.
Situations in which your intellectual property might be endangered or is already infringed must always be carefuly handled. Also bear in mind that the third party you think is infringing your right might be doing it unintentionally (Yes, such situations actually exist.) Thus it is always advisable to approach IP specialist in pertinent field and discuss the issue with him. They can help you approach situation carefuly and prepare proper strategy for you.